Publication Date: December 16, 2016
eduroam is a secure world-wide roaming authentication service which allows users from participating members of the research and education community to connect to WiFi networks when visiting eduroam community member locations. eduroam allows Georgia Tech users to access Wi-Fi when traveling, and visitors from institutions participating in eduroam to login to LAWN without the need for guest sponsorships or visitor passes.
Pilot/Service Deployment Timeline
During the past year, users at Tech have been testing eduroam from participating campuses using their Tech credential when traveling. Once the pilot phase is complete, the LAWN team will enable eduroam for the Atlanta campus prior to the start of the spring semester. By enabling the service on the Atlanta campus, visitors from institutions participating in eduroam will be able to access information online without the need for guest sponsorships or visitor passes. Throughout the pilot, the two Wi-Fi networks will run at the same time.
As part of the pilot phase, the team invites IT support staff and other user groups to test the service in order to provide feedback on client compatibility and configuration best practices before going to full production of the service. At the same time, testing of the eduroam SSID is underway in the Rich building, and the LAWN team will continue testing and improving the service until it reaches the production quality of GTwifi.
Once the service is enabled, current GTwifi users will not need to make any changes, but those who are traveling are free to configure their devices for eduroam. It is important to remember that only one Georgia Tech network be configured on any device at any one time.
Basic information for connecting to the eduroam SSID
- “Forget” or delete your GTwifi, GTother, and GTvisitor wireless configurations - only one GT network should be configured on any device at any one time.
- Wireless network name SSID: eduroam
- Privacy settings: WPA Enterprise
- Authentication: PEAP (sometimes referred to as EAP-PEAP)
- Internal authentication: MSCHAPv2 (PEAP v. 0)
- Username: <GT Account>@gatech.edu (for example: email@example.com)
- GT users should use <GT Account>@gatech.edu (GT example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NOTE: this is the same account one uses to login to Passport
- Password: the same as your Tech account password
For more information on using eduroam on campus including configuration examples for your platform, please visit http://lawn.gatech.edu/services/eduroam/
For more information about eduroam and to see an interactive map of connection locations around the world. Please check out the links below.
Interactive maps of eduroam locations